Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dear HR Director,

Dear HR Director,

It has come to my attention that when I began employment approximately three years ago, I was not given an employee handbook. There are now certain policies and procedures for which I have questions that I expect the handbook would explain, but I cannot find a copy. I've been told by certain other coworkers that such a handbook does not actually exist; however, I deemed it prudent to inquire as I assume that there must be such a document.

The issue in question at the present time is my allotment of sick time and the procedure for taking sick days. I realize that this job does not include weekends or holidays off, nor nights and evenings for that matter. I also realize that vacation time is only allowed when grandparents or other suitable individuals can be found to fill in. But, in the event of illness, I had thought (or perhaps hoped) that there was a procedure for calling in sick.

Apparently I am mistaken?

It would be helpful if someone would let me know who to call in the event of an illness so I might have the opportunity for a break. I believe that a day or two off would in fact increase my productivity, allowing me to get over any illness more quickly, thus returning to my duties faster and in better spirits. As it is, I am forced to continue working through my illness and my immune system is weakened by lack of sleep, as well as the increased demands of my subordinates, who are also ill.

Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I believe we are out of kleenex.

Regards,
Mommy

No comments: