Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Race cancelled and other random thoughts

My indoor triathlon I was expecting to do this weekend isn't happening. I should have figured that out a few weeks ago when there was still no info, nor any sign up sheet, at the Y. I asked about it and although I don't know why it didn't take off, I do know they might do it in the fall. I'll have to keep a look out. Honestly, it's just as well; I'm not even close to being in the kind of shape I'd like to be in to finish a race, even a short one. Finding the time to train is a challenge with two young children - especially when one of them is a nursing baby who still doesn't particularly like the gym nursery.

But I don't say that to be down about it or hard on myself at all. I say that with total acceptance. It's all good.

I am, however, going to officially sign up for the May triathlon, which is going to take place at my Y. So my first event of the year will be May 24th (I think that's the date). Luckily the swim is in the pool, so my wetsuit worry (as in, will I be able to stuff myself into it) isn't a factor.

On the training front, I'm battling a sore and stiff neck, which sucks. I think my first trip out with my double jogger strained my neck somehow (it is rather heavy with my two monkeys); that was over a week ago and I'm still sore. Ibuprofen helps, but it's been hard to really push myself when I'm hurting. Plus I don't want to make it worse. I did get out for a run/walk yesterday, with the stroller, and all is well (or at least not worse), so that's a good sign.

The weather turned lovely again today and it's making me itch to be more active and just be outside! I'm really looking forward to summer. I feel like last summer went by in a haze of sleep deprivation and mommy guilt after the birth of G. This year I think we'll really get to enjoy ourselves!

No comments: