Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pregnant brain and other randomness

I'm already feeling loopy and out of it, like I can't quite make a complete sentence half the time. I remember feeling this way during my previous pregnancies and I'm hopeful that I'll regain the full use of my brain sometime in the next couple of years. But who knows, baby 3 may just do me in.

It has struck me lately how different this pregnancy is through the eyes of D. He was less than 2 when I got pregnant with his brother, and only 2 1/2 when he was born. He had some understanding of what was going on, that there was a baby in my tummy, etc. And certainly when we brought that little bundle home and his life turned upsidedown, he had more of a clue.

This time, he really understands and it is so fun. He's explained to me several times, demonstrating not only his understanding of the process but his obvious genius (wink), how the baby is in my tummy and is "super tiny" (his words), but will grow bigger and get too big for my tummy, at which time we'll go to the hospital and "get it out" (again, his words), and then we'll have a baby at home. The baby will then grow, and soon will be as big as G, and then will get bigger still and turn into a "kid" and he can play with it. He's also told me how he's going to teach the baby to talk and teach him how to play with toys. How cute is that?

But the kicker so far was when I came downstairs one morning and he curled up in my lap and asked me, "Mommy, how's your baby doing?"

He's such a sweet boy.

I'll be six weeks tomorrow and I'm exhausted. I told my SIL today that if I seem out of it, or if the house starts to fall apart, not to be alarmed. My body is simply going through the equivalent of running a marathon every day. Growing that placenta is hard work, I tell ya.

I'm feeling glad that this should be the last time I have to do this :).

1 comment:

Rose said...

I love him.

One of the best parts about my pregnancy with Joseph was Emily's fascination (not as old as D during the pregnancy obviously, but older than D was when you were pregnant with G) with the pregnancy, how things were going, what the baby was doing, etc. I loved that. Of course, she also went with me to enough dr appts that when she played doctor she would pretend to check my cervix...thankfully assuming it was somwhere on my leg. LMAO

I'm so happy for you guys. Rest when you can.