Sunday, May 4, 2008

Most boring birthday party, EVER

Perhaps that is an exaggeration, but man... booooooring.

We went to the birthday party for my friend's two year old today. He was recently made her middle child by the birth of her third, a daughter. Just being around them is overwhelming. She's had three children in just over 3 years and she's more or less exhausted and overwhelmed all the time. We were there for a playdate recently and I didn't even want to stay. Her kids aren't horrible out of control brats or anything, but there is a level of chaos in her house that is sort of maddening.

What could be so bad about a birthday party for a two-year-old? Strangely enough, it's hard to put my finger on. Could be that we didn't know anyone else there. This is an old friend of mine, so they aren't couple friends. In fact, this is the friend who's husband is an enormous jackass, so I don't even like seeing him. And it isn't like I was going to get to hang out and chat with my friend; she was busy with the party, her kids, her other guests, etc. And my husband really didn't have anyone to talk to.

It also could be that the food was awful. I'm sorry, but how do you screw up hot dogs and premade burger patties? Between the two of us we had a hot dog and a burger and they were both terrible. I don't know if they were just really cheap and low quality to begin with, or if my friend's husband is a terrible cook, but I took a few bites and decided I'd rather snack on some chips and call it good. D ate an entire hot dog, which is an utterly amazing amount of food for him, so apparently he thought it was fine. But my husband and I kept looking at each other with this look of "how on earth could the food be this bad?"

Basically, it was one of the more painful couple of hours I've spent in a long time. I feel bad feeling that way, but my goodness. We high tailed it out of there after giving D a sliver of cake. Luckily G was getting fussy by that point, so we needed to go anyway. I felt bad for making my husband come with us, but I had no idea it would be such a boring experience. I guess I'm glad we went; I certainly appreciate everyone who comes to my kids' birthday parties. I just hope the guests at my parties aren't itching to leave as badly as we were.

And speaking of birthday parties... G's first birthday is right around the corner and I have yet to get his invitations out. I'm resisting the urge to say screw it and just do an e-vite. I did buy the invitations, after all.

And nevermind the fact that I hand made the invitations for D's first birthday... Poor second baby. LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! It sounds like a miserable time.

That's also why my DH will take over grill duty at parties when he sees the food sucks. LOL!

As for second kids...yup. I think it gets more pathetic with each kid we have in this house.

Anonymous said...

sorry, but did you hear the saying that your party is only as interesting as your guests? you could at the very least mingle and make some new friends. rather than expect your host to carry the sole burden of entertaining you, you could have found some way to try to enjoy the party yourself.