Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Nerves

I signed myself up for a new class at the gym. This first fall session they have a whole bunch of new classes, mostly for the kids, but a few new adult classes too. The one I'm going to try is called "Stroke and turn conditioning" and no, I'm not making a dirty joke, so get your minds out of the gutter ;).

It's a swim class, designed for people who already know how to swim, but want some coaching to get better at it. Yeah, that would be me.

So why nerves? I'm very intimidated and have managed to overthink my way into worrying about how I'm going to do in this class. I hesitated to even sign up for it, because I'm nervous about it. Why? I guess I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot and the coach will wonder how on earth I manage to swim at all. I know, that's being silly - but still. I know I'm a slow swimmer and I'm afraid the coach is going to be frustrated and assume I'm not trying hard because I don't move faster.

I'm always a little nervous when it comes to physical stuff. I've turned myself into something of an athlete, but that label is still hard for me to wrap my head around. I'm a bookworm and was much more into academics and clubs in school than sports. I'm not the most uncoordinated person ever, but I'm not a natural either and I have to admit, I've tended to shy away from things that don't come naturally to me. That's why this whole triathlon thing has been so great for me. It's helped me to redefine who I am and what I can do - what my body can do.

But I still have those lingering picked-last-in-gym insecurities. And I'm not confident in my swimming - which is precisely why I need the class, and precisely why it makes me nervous. However, I'm going to suck it up and go and see what happens. I'm positive it won't be nearly as bad as I'm afraid of.

Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I think this class will end up being just the thing to BOOST your confidence about swimming! I hope it all goes well, and I understand your nerves completely - I'd be the same way.

I want to hear all about it.

jen said...

i clicked through from zandria's blog, because i'm kinda in the same boat. i can get from point A to point B in the water just fine, but i look like an idiot trying to swim freestyle. i'm determined to be a graceful swimmer, though. i got a dvd from "total immersion" and it's helping a lot. their "thing" is teaching people to swim so that they feel natural and relaxed in the water. they have in-person swimming clinics and lessons, which i've heard good things about, but they are expensive. that's why i'm doing the dvd.

i hope your class helps. i'm sure the teacher won't be frustrated with you or anything like that.